The Board of Directors of Craven County Partners In Education recently announced the winners of the Spring Cycle PIE Grants. PIE Grants are an expression of faith in and support for teachers who are searching for educational opportunities which make an immediate impact on the lives of students and that have the potential of encouraging long-range growth in educational performance. The school principals accepted the checks on behalf of their teachers at the March Principals’ Meeting. A total of $14,000 was awarded. Pictured are the principals accepting the checks on behalf of their teachers: Dr. Ervin Patrick, PIE past president; Dr. Meghan Doyle, Superintendent on behalf of Sherri Thomas at James W. Smith Elementary; William Byland, Havelock Middle; Tabari Wallace, West Craven High; Debra Hurst, PIE board member; Claudia Casey, Tucker Creek Middle; Jerry Simmons, New Bern High; Catherine Alligood, A.H. Bangert Elementary; Dr. NeShawn Dawson, PIE board member; Melisa Thompson, Bridgeton Elementary; Todd Bradley, Craven Early College; Dr. Kathy Barber, Havelock Elementary, and Kathy Leffler, Arthur W. Edwards Elementary.
The winners are:
– One School – One Book – A Whole Lot of Chocolate, $1,500.00 – Melisa Thompson, Bridgeton Elementary
– Fine Motor Follies – Literacy-based Fine Motor Companion Kit, $1,209.96 – Gwen Goodman, A.H. Bangert Elementary & Creekside Elementary
– Eagle Boutique, $885.60 – Nancy Jones & Vernon Collins, West Craven High
– Communication in the Industrial Revolution, $510.76 – Anna Wethington, Havelock Middle
– Rock, ROLL and Rememberrrr – A Learning-Focused Collaborate Space, $1,392.94 – Gwen Goodman, New Bern High
– Camping with Critters, $1,247.29 – Diane Bondurant, James W. Smith Elementary
– Pathway to Sensory Integration, $1,500.00 – Jennifer Cook, Delaney Fischer, Valeria Almendarez, Havelock Elementary
– Craven the Woods – $568.14 – Amanda Smith & Erin Miller – Craven Early College
– Portraits: Through the Lens of Military Children – $1,464.38 – Valerie Nasser, Tucker Creek Middle
– Engineering Our STEM Future, $480.38 – Catherine Pratt, New Bern High
– Peaking Teacher Performance Through Pixem, $1,500.00 – Rose Spoonire, Havelock Elementary
– Mobile Makerspaces, $1,456.30 – Kathy Leffler – Arthur W. Edwards Elementary
For information on how you or your organization can support Craven County Schools through Partners In Education, contact Darlene Brown at 514-6321 or visit our website at CravenPartners.com.
Submitted by: Darlene Brown, Craven County Partners In Education