Vice President, Brenda Gauthier, introduced our guest speaker, Mrs. Karen Joseph.
Karen is not only a successful Audiologist and Realtor, but she makes a difference in the lives of many children in our community. Her nurturing passion is evident after learning she started out as a nurse and turned her audiology skills and experience into community outreach for hearing impaired children within the Craven County School District.
She spends one day a week in classrooms with students who have cochlear implants to make sure they are working properly within the Craven County School District. That’s true commitment to a special cause!
She also educates teachers, parents, and children by providing them with tools and information on how they can cope with hearing loss and how to use hearing aids and other specialized equipment.
One of Karen’s challenges is helping teenagers deal with their hearing loss. Many are embarrassed and don’t want their classmates to know they have a hearing disability.
Karen explained that two – three out of every 1,000 children are born deaf or hard of hearing. These days, children receive screening before they leave the hospital. This is an incredible leap from years ago when children exhibited unnatural behavior and were misdiagnosed as having a mental illness. In actuality, they were deaf and couldn’t express themselves as children who could hear. Another interesting fact is deaf and hearing impaired people obtain 50% less information than a hearing person.
Karen joined forces with the New Bern Breakfast Rotary Club and New Bern Arts Council as sponsors for the “New Bern Art & Wine Festival” scheduled for August 26th – 28th, 2010. All proceeds will benefit hearing impaired children of Craven County Schools.
Karen and her husband Dr. Tom Joseph own and operate Audiology of New Bern. For more information about Karen, please visit her Website .
The luncheon concluded with the following announcements:
– The Touring Club, LLC is a new business that provides unique travel consulting and planning services, 222 Craven St., New Bern, 252-633-9771
– Snap Fitness is hosting a weight loss challenge starting on March 1st. Please contact them at 3960 Dr M L King Jr Dr., 252-636-9627
– Spend $20 on the 20th of March. For details, contact Elizabeth Knowles at 252-571-4117
– Slender Temptations is offering two weight loss challenges beginning on March 10th – 11th, 309 Middle St., 252-636-3502
– Historic Riverside HOA is planning a unique event for April 9th – 10th, historical home show, antique auto displays, homeowners will be dressed in costumes of the home’s era along with a possible Civil War re-enactment near the National Cemetery. A trolley will transport visitors from Tryon Palace to Riverside and Degraffenried Neighborhoods and back to the Palace.
Thank you ladies, for another wonderful time and the Hilton Hotel’s food was delicious.