>What is Business Watch?
Modeled after Neighborhood Watch, Business Watch takes the “neighbors looking out for neighbors” concept to the commercial level, creating a partnership between business, law enforcement, and other organizations that represent business interests. The Business Watch philosophy is straightforward – take control of what happens in your business community and lessen your chances of becoming a victim.
A Business Watch actively reduces and prevents crime through cooperation and education. We do this by:
– Promoting communication and understanding between law enforcement and business
– Encourage and enhance cooperation among merchants.
– Teach merchants to crime-proof their properties, watch over neighboring businesses and document and report suspicious activity.
– Develop a telephone tree and/or email distribution list to quickly disseminate information about area crime.
Business Watch programs can be on your street, block, or within your shopping center or mall. You can take an important step toward a safer environment for yourself, your employees, your customers – and your community as a whole. In addition to reducing crime, Business Watch offers many other benefits, including opportunity to:
– Network with other are businesses.
– Foster a good working rapport with area law enforcement.
– Offer employee training and education.
– Garner publicity and community goodwill for your establishment.
The first business watch meeting is scheduled for July 12th. For more information, please call 252-626-1767. Lieutenant Chandler Powell will be the liaison officer in charge of this program.
Submitted by: Danielle Glynn, New Bern Citywide Watch Coordinator for the New Bern Police Department